Friday, November 20, 2009

CARDINAL PROFILES

BY CAROLINE STRINGER
Cardinal Staff

Name: Tony Hynes
Class: Senior
Sport: Golf
Major: Management/Marketing
Hometown: Lino Lakes, Minn.
High School: Totino-Grace

Name: Stephanie Marnocha
Class: Senior
Sport: Soccer
Major: Secondary Education
(Mathematics)
Hometown: Appleton, Wis.
High School: Appleton North

What made you decide on SMU as your college
choice?

Marnocha: I decided to come to Saint Mary’s because I had the opportunity to play college soccer as well as attend a university that had a great education program. It was also important to me that I attended a smaller school, since I had no desire to be a number in a crowd.

Hynes: What made me decide on SMU as my college choice was the fact that I had the opportunity to compete on a college level on the SMU men’s golf team. Also, I really liked the campus when I came for my visit.

What is your favorite athletics moment?

Marnocha: I would have to say my favorite athletic moment at Saint Mary’s was when I scored the winning goal this year against UWRiver Falls. I didn’t actually think the ball was going in, but it curved at just the last second.

Hynes: My favorite athletics moment at SMU was my junior year, day two at the MIAC championship tournament. We shot 297, breaking the school record on our way to taking fifth place, our best finish in years.

Who is your favorite professional athlete?

Marnocha: My favorite professional athlete would have to be Michael Phelps. I was a competitive swimmer for seven years, and what he can do in the pool is absolutely incredible.

Hynes: I love sports so I have a lot of favorites, but right now it is Brett Favre. I hated him for so many years because he was a Packer, but he’s still got it, and he’s about to take the Vikings to the Super Bowl.

What is your favorite part about SMU athletics?

Marnocha: My favorite part of SMU athletics is the people. Being on the women’s soccer team has allowed me to become part of a bigger community on the Saint Mary’s campus, and it has introduced me to so many people I otherwise may have never met. I have met some of my best friends from playing soccer at Saint Mary’s.

Hynes: My favorite part about SMU athletics is how all the sports teams get along. SMU athletics make you feel like you’re part of a community.

No comments: