Friday, September 21, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year

By Candice Norrell and Eric Lear
Sports Editors

CN: *sigh* It’s that time of year again. Leaves are turning gorgeous colors, it’s starting to get chilly, the days are getting shorter, and baseball wise, it’s the hunt for October! Eric, please tell all our readers how you feel this time compared to years past.

EL: What a strange feeling it is for me to be happy this time of year while watching my beloved Chicago Cubs play.
Read more...
And when I say strange, I don’t mean catching-a-glimpse-of-your-roommate-as-they-are-leaving-the-shower strange. I mean a Father-Fabian-class-getting-out-early strange. For those of you that don’t follow, it is a feeling that I really could get used to, seeing as though my “northsiders” have been in the playoffs just three times since I was introduced to this world.

CN: Well, my Twinkies have only appeared in the playoffs six times in my own lifetime; however, two of those times they were World Series champs! (Whoop whoop!)

EL: ONLY six times? Are you kidding me? I would be happier than you in the Home Run Porch, chomping on a Dome Dog while watching Joe Nathan in the bottom of the ninth if my Cubbies had such success come playoff time.

CN: Yummm, Dome Dogs. Well, I mean, ONLY six times compared to those “Damn Yankees,” who’ve been there 12 consecutive years. It gets old. They need to take turns and let others play.

EL: Forget the Yankees. They will be lucky if they win the wild card this year. Right now all I can think about are my Cubbies. I get a warm, tingling sensation even thinking about them winning the pennant; the same tingling sensation that every Minnesota girl gets when Joe Mauer crouches into his catching position behind home plate.

CN: How dare you put images like those in my head, Eric Lear. I’m an engaged girl! Moving on, I’m quite disappointed in the Twins right now. However, even though they’re over 10 games back, I still have much hope because a true baseball fan never gives up on their team. NEVER.

EL: No one knows that more than me, Candice. It has been downright painful in the past watching my Cubs struggle, yet I still have a hard time falling asleep if I don’t know if the Cubs won or lost. Some people may call that a crazed obsession, but I see it as a healthy dose of hope.

CN: Hope. That’s about all we can have, you know? Crazed obsession is okay, too, so don’t worry. At least that’s what I say. And I only say it because I’m a die-hard Twins fan and will be until the day I die. But I want you to know, all of you, that I hope and pray the Cubs make it this year. They definitely deserve it.

EL: I can truly say that I wish the Twins could be there, too, for two reasons: to see my friends who are Twins fans happy and so that the Cubs could play them in the World Series.

No comments: