Friday, April 24, 2009

Highland heads home


By Ryan Briscoe
Cardinal Staff

After 32 years of service, Saint Mary’s University’s Provost Dr. Jeff Highland will retire this summer.

Highland, who has held a variety of positions at SMU including teaching, making music, interacting with students in co- and extra-curricular activities and administrating, will be moving to Seattle to fulfill commitments to his family.


Read more...

“It has been a privilege to have such a unique opportunity to develop personal relationships with so many of the members of the Saint Mary’s family,” said Highland. “I have worked daily with faculty and academic administrators at the College and the graduate schools, support staff, maintenance folks, alumni, students and with four presidents.”

After arriving at SMU in 1977 as a professor in the social sciences department, Highland said he found an environment that he came to love.

“The best part about my professional life here at Saint Mary’s is that I was allowed to do all the things I enjoyed,” Highland said. “I could teach political science and public administration, I was able to be involved with music and campus life and I was given wonderful opportunities to do administrative work.”

Highland said what he will miss most is “the people: Saint Mary’s is full of wonderful men and women truly committed to the institution.” He spoke especially highly of two groups: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia and the Christian Brothers. He said the relationship he has formed with the men of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia “reflects the unique bond shared by those who make music together.”

Highland has also received recognition by the Christian Brothers. “Among the highest honors I’ve received is my formal affiliation with the Christian Brothers,” Highland said. “These men and the Lasallian charism they embody have been truly inspirational to me.”

As one of his last official acts as provost, Highland will oversee the spring commencements for both the undergraduate and graduates here at the Winona campus. This spring’s graduation will mark the passage of time for Highland in a radical way. Highland will emcee his last commencement ceremony, organize his files for the university archives and move back to his home near Seattle.

Highland said he is comfortable with the decision to retire. “It will be difficult to leave a campus and community that have been such an important part of my life, but I look forward to time with my mother and my family, and I know that SMU will continue to thrive in the years ahead,” said Highland. “I wish everyone the very best.”

No comments: