Monday, February 1, 2010

Saying goodbye to an old friend

BY TRAVIS FICK
Managing Editor

The final snow emergency of 2008-09 was the last time students would receive a call “from Jerrie Seibert.”

Jerrie Seibert, former director of Campus Safety, died on Tuesday, Jan. 12, at the University of Minnesota Hospital in Minneapolis, less than a year after retiring from Saint Mary’s University.

Before coming to SMU, Seibert worked at the Winona Police Department for 32 years, where he served as deputy chief before his retirement. Then, Seibert worked at SMU for 10 years as the director of Campus Safety.

Chris Kendall, vice president for Student Development, said that he will remember Seibert for “his trusted advice, his people skills, his sense of humor, his love for his family and of course, his voice.”

For those who worked closely with Seibert at Campus Safety, his death signifies a great loss. For Clint Estle, associate director of Campus Safety, Seibert served as a teacher, co-worker and friend.

“Jerrie was a big part of my life,” said Estle. “He was my boss and partner here at Saint Mary’s and my friend. If I needed help with my truck or advice about a girl I was dating, I knew he was good for it!” Seibert had a knack for working with people, said Estle, and was able to provide comfort to others in situations that some would find uncomfortable.

“He knew when to crack a joke if he thought it would help ease the tension,” said Estle. “And he was right.”

A few years ago on graduation day, Seibert and Estle were driving around campus on a golf cart and found themselves in an interesting situation. Seibert and Estle were driving down the path next to Gilmore Creek and quickly found out that the golf cart they were riding on did not have any brakes.

“I could feel the panic building inside me as I pictured he and I crashing into a tree or ending up upside down in the creek,” said Estle. “I turned to look at him as he looked at me. All he did was shrug his shoulders and look back down the hill and concentrate on driving the cart.” Estle said that he and Seibert drove across the footbridge and ended up in the bushes by the Saint Yon’s steps.

“We sat there for a few seconds before Jerrie turned to me and said, ‘I think we need to get the brakes looked at,’” said Estle.

No comments: