Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My summer in Winona

BY SARAH MCDONOUGH
Cardinal Staff

Two months before school ended, I had made the decision to live and work at Saint Mary’s University over the summer. I must admit, I was a little unsure how the summer was going to play out because let’s face it, this is Wi-no-where.

I was optimistic though and I landed a job with the Development and Alumni Relations Department. Working for this department was my first choice because I knew the job would give me a lot of opportunities to network with alumni and get to see an aspect of the inter workings of our university that many students do not get to see.

Throughout the summer, I helped organize numerous alumni events, the main one being Homecoming. I spent many weeks working on this event, doing anything from searching for photos in archives to working with Bob Conover, vice president for communications and maketing, interviewing alumni on their time spent at SMU. It was captivating to see so many alumni share their memories. SMU really was their home away from home, and the people they met here became their family. After graduation, many alumni continue to give back to their home by supporting our school with various donations.

That got me thinking, I have never met anyone who does not receive some sort of financial aid, whether it be in the form of scholarship or grants from Saint Mary’s. This is possible thanks to our alumni. I for one would not be able to attend SMU if it weren’t for the financial support I receive, and for that, I am forever grateful. I hope to return the favor by making donations as well when I become an alum.

Aside from having an amazing experience with my job, I also strengthened many friendships and made new ones with the other student workers. My friends and I had a ritual of going out on “Wednesday Wing Night,” spending the weekends creating havoc for campus security and going off the rope swing at Airport Beach.

Even though I am and will always be a city girl at heart, in all honesty, Winona can be a really fun place to live. This was one of the best summers I have ever had.

No comments: