Friday, November 20, 2009

Quick hits from around the leagues

BY ALEX CONOVER
Sports Editor

• It looks like I’ve eaten my words concerning Mr. Favre. My article from two months ago denounced him and everything he
stands for; I now see the Vikings getting at least as far as the NFC championship.
• The Metrodome recently had a fire sale with all of their Twins signage and miscellaneous merchandise. I always thought that the Dome was better for viewing baseball than football; now the Twins will have to suffer through a slew of cold games early in the season.
• Speaking of the Metrodome exodus, I recently took in a Minnesota Gophers football game at their new stadium. I have to say I really like the idea of football returning to campus – the new field is only blocks from the freshman dorms.
• Getting your name on Sportscenter isn’t always a good thing. New Mexico women’s soccer player Elizabeth Lambert was shown earlier this month throwing multiple punches and kicks against BYU – search her name on YouTube for the controversial highlights.
• With the start of the NBA season comes the now-annual debate: LeBron or Kobe? It’s clear that LeBron is the well-rounded player while Kobe is the pure scorer. A Cavaliers vs. Lakers finals series would be epic, but I just can’t see Cleveland beating out Boston.
• Props to the volleyball team for advancing farther in postseason play than any recent SMU team in the last five or so years. Hopefully this can start a winning trend that will carry over into the winter seasons.

No comments: