Friday, January 29, 2010

CARDINAL PROFILES

BY CAROLINE STRINGER
Cardinal Staff

Name: Pat Freeman
Class: Sophomore
Sport: Basketball
Major: Sports Management
Hometown: Champlin, Minn.
High School: Champlin Park

Name: Cassie Stoner
Class: Senior
Sport: Hockey
Major: Marketing
Hometown: Kenosha, Wis.
High School: The Prairie School



What made you decide on SMU as your college
choice?
Freeman: What made me choose to come to SMU was Coach Landrum. I had worked for him for the Minnesota Timberwolves for the past few summers, and once he got the job, I made my decision to come play here. He is the best coach I have had, and I have had a lot of fun playing here over the past year. We also had a lot of great young talent, and I wanted to be a part of turning SMU into a top team in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

Stoner: I decided to come to SMU for a variety of reasons, but I would have to say that being able to play hockey here was one of the main reasons. I enjoyed the idea of a small, private, Catholic university because I was used to a similar atmosphere in high school. I also decided upon SMU due to its location for two reasons: its beautiful location in the bluffs and its proximity to home, which is far enough away but not too far.

What is your favorite part about SMU athletics?
Freeman: The fans have been great so far this year. I really enjoy playing at home now with the loud crowd right by the side of the court, with their chests painted, yelling and screaming the whole game. We really appreciate that and hope it continues to keep growing with more and more people.

Stoner: I would have to say my favorite part about SMU athletics has been the friendships I have made playing hockey over the past four years. I feel that it’s the most irreplaceable part of being on a team.

What is your favorite athletics moment?
Freeman: My high school team went to the state tournament my sophomore year of high school, and that is one of the best experiences that I have had. It was great to go play at the “Barn” in Minneapolis and share that experience with my teammates. Also, beating Bethel this year was a ton of fun because of the energy of the crowd after some blocked shots and Will (Wright’s) dunk. We played well that game, and that was probably the most exciting game I have ever played in.

Stoner: My favorite athletics moment would have to be when we beat St. Thomas my freshman year, which also happened to be senior night. That was the year we had 10 seniors, so it was a great way for the seniors to end their conference games at SMU before we headed into playoffs.

Who is your favorite professional athlete?
Freeman: I think right now it’s got to be Brett Favre. Without him, the Vikings would have continued to have problems, but he has played amazing this year. A special thanks to the Packers and Jets for letting him go. Joe Mauer is also up there as well.

Stoner: My favorite professional athlete is Patrick Kane, who plays for the Chicago Blackhawks.

No comments: