Friday, January 29, 2010

Friendship on and off the basketball court

BY BRIAN THOMAS
Cardinal Staff

Those who have attended a Saint Mary’s University women’s basketball game this year have probably noticed two freshmen in the starting lineup. Renee Pecarina and Jessica Thone have started nearly every game this season and have averaged almost 30 minutes each per contest. If things would have gone differently this summer, however, SMU might never have had these two women playing on its home court.

“I’m having a good experience here at SMU,” said Thone. “I’m glad I decided to
come here.”

Neither Pecarina nor Thone planned on attending SMU initially, and it was not until early August that Pecarina made her decision to enroll; Thone decided in mid-June. “I never thought I would be here,” said Thone.

Pecarina spent last summer playing league basketball for the University of St. Thomas (UST) and had her heart set on attending college there. At the last minute, she changed her mind.

“It was the day of orientation (at UST),” said Pecarina. “I told my dad that I didn’t want go there. It just didn’t feel right. I told him I wanted to check out Saint Mary’s.”

Shortly afterwards, Pecarina enrolled at SMU and was invited to come out for the team by women’s basketball Head Coach Mandy Pearson. “I always wanted to play basketball (in college); I’m just glad I made the decision to come here instead,” said Pecarina, as Thone nodded in agreement. Thone was not intending to play basketball after high school. It was Pecarina who first encouraged Thone to come out for the team. The two played against each other in high school and became friends upon attending SMU.

“Renee was one of the first people I talked to when I got here,“ said Thone. “I recognized her immediately. I was going to go to school in California and not play basketball, but I didn’t want to have to get on a plane every time to come home. I think I made the right decision to come here and to play.” Thone, who recently scored a career-high 27 points against Carleton College, described the team’s tight-knit vibe. “Everyone gets along really well on and off the court,” said Thone. “We’re really close, like a family. It’s about more than just basketball.”

“Everyone is behind each other 110 percent, the coaches especially,” said Pecarina. “The team chemistry is great — we gel together really well.” The women’s team has already matched its win total from last season. With eight scheduled games left, the team still has a chance to make the playoffs.

No comments: