Monday, March 8, 2010

CARDINAL PROFILES

BY CAROLINE STRINGER
Cardinal Staff

Name: JESS MILLER
Class: Junior
Sport: Basketball
Major: Elementary Education
Hometown: Carver, Minn.
High School: Chaska High School

Name: JOHN FOX
Class: Senior
Sport: Swimming and Diving
Major: Biology
Hometown: Winona, Minn.
High School: Winona High School


What made you decide on SMU as your
college choice?
Fox: Small class sizes and the variety of science majors offered made Saint Mary’s University a good choice. I liked the small campus as well as the athletic facilities. The pool is one of the largest and most state-ofthe- art in the MIAC (Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference).

Miller: I decided early on that I wanted to go to a smaller university, and it just so happened that they were interested in me playing basketball, so I thought, what better opportunity! I know the school had a good reputation in education (my major), which was what I was looking towards as well.

Who is your favorite professional athlete?
Fox: I don’t have one.
Miller: My favorite professional athlete is Kevin Garnett. He is such a good person as well as an amazing basketball player, which is very admirable.

What is your favorite athletics moment?
Fox: My favorite athletic moment was qualifying for Nationals last year at the MIAC championships.

Miller: My favorite athletic moment here at SMU is when we beat Bethel in double overtime my sophomore year – very exciting!

What is your favorite part about SMU athletics?
Fox: The community is what makes SMU athletics great. Even though we have a small team, we always have a balcony full of students, family and friends to support us.

Miller: The best thing about SMU athletics is the bond and community that is formed within the teams. I know women’s basketball is a family, and I know that having such a small school allows this to happen, which is truly unique.

No comments: