Thursday, March 27, 2014

Reflection: Montana S.O.U.L trip


by luKe Kubic
Cardinal Contributor

Over Spring Break, I went on the S.O.U.L. trip to Browning, Montana to work at the De La Salle School on the Blackfeet Indian reservation. At the school, our group worked with kids in grades 4-8, providing them with additional help in subjects that they were struggling with. At first, the kids were hesitant to open up to people that they had never met before, but they really opened up after the first day. It was a joy to get to know the kids, but it made it that much harder to say goodbye when it was time for us to leave.

When we were not working at the school, we were learning about the history of the Blackfeet or touring the city. We also got the opportu- nity to climb the Buffalo Jumps and snow-shoe through Glacier National Park. Along our three mile hike through the 31 inches of snow, our tour guides would stop periodically to teach us about the park and the animals that lived there.

Working at the school and hiking through Glacier National Park were both great experiences, but this trip would not have been the same if it hadn’t been for the group I was with. I hardly knew anyone on this trip beforehand, but now I consider everyone in our group to be a friend. Before this trip, I was skeptical about giving up my Spring Break. But after this experience, I’m 100% sure that I made the right decision! To anyone who is considering going on a S.O.U.L. trip: Do it! You won’t regret it!

No comments: