Thursday, September 18, 2008

Summer blues

By Alex Conover
Sports Editor

It was a long summer.
Read more...
I worked in the Saint Mary’s University admission office and gave way too many tours. Every day driving to work, tired and in a bad mood, I would go past the construction in the soccer field. One of the sole highlights of my day was tracking the progress of the big project; it went from a dirt field to a black square, then from a green sheet of turf to a lined pitch. Once I began to see a finished product, I got really excited for a new year of Cardinal athletics.

Let’s face it, last year was not exactly stellar for our sports teams. Sure, there were obstacles: Coach Dembiec had to coach both soccer teams, baseball and softball played a whole schedule of away games and the golf squads lost a great mentor. I think we can all say, however, that we are ready to put last year behind us and begin a new era. There are five teams with new head coaches at SMU, and baseball, softball, and soccer are all ready to break in their new surfaces. Along with a slew of freshmen athletes already making an impact, there are plenty of reasons why it is good to be a Cardinal.

I can honestly say that I am looking forward very much to the next three years of college. Along with pursuing various interests, I am going to dedicate a lot of energy toward improving this newspaper. My goal is that as Saint Mary’s athletics continue to improve, so will the Cardinal sports section.

No comments: