Friday, December 5, 2008

Kanye’s 808s & Heartbreak speaks from his soul

By Alex Conover
Sports Editor

The rumors swirled so quickly: Kanye has a new album? There’s no rapping? The whole thing sounds like T-Pain sang it?

Yes, it’s all true. But don’t condemn West’s newest project just yet; a few listens might change your initial reaction.
Read more...


Some of you might know me as a big Kanye West fan. I reviewed last year’s Graduation with two thumbs up, and I expected this next album to be more of the same. After all, I consider him the most talented person in hip-hop today, and one of the best among the current music community.

It definitely made me scratch my head when I heard that his new material would be comprised exclusively of him singing with the “autotune” effect. Autotune is a filter used in music production that alters the singer’s voice in a unique style; it was first popularly used by Peter Frampton and is also associated with rappers T-Pain and Lil’ Wayne. I found it pretty hard to imagine West using the same effects, much less while singing instead of rapping.

After only listening to a few songs, however, it’s easy to tell that this album is about someone special. Parts are about West’s breakup with his fiancé, and others are about his mother’s untimely death shortly after his last album was released. West makes it clear that it’s lonely at the top, and someone has to tell the story. One thing I found out after some internet browsing is that when West uses the autotuner during his singing, it represents his heart breaking.

The singing isn’t bad at all, either; the lyrics are sincere and soulful. According to West, rapping is limited, and the best way to express himself was through singing. Isn’t that what music is all about?

As far as the beats, “808s” is a breath of fresh air. In the past, West has made his fame and fortune off his ear for sampling and complicated layers. This album is a totally new sound, as no samples occur anywhere. Instead, West chose to use quality over quantity. He stated on MTV News that his producing for this album was “minimal but functional.” Tribal drums can be heard along with an 808 drum machine, and his keyboards are spacey and electronic.

I do have some reservations about the album. I don’t quite agree with the idea of West exclusively singing – as you might guess, he’s no Josh Groban. I think the concept is cool and different, but I’m a big fan of his rapping, and I think that’s where he belongs. The good news is that West has announced another album coming out around June 2009, which hopefully features more of his rapping than singing. Don’t get me wrong, I like the album, I just don’t think that this should be a permanent genre crossover for West.

When I first heard the leaked tracks on YouTube, I was appalled. After a few listens however, I have to confess that I am slightly addicted. The feelings are so authentic, and the sound is too unique to not appreciate 808s and Heartbreak.

Best tracks: “Welcome to Heartbreak,” “Heartless,” “Love Lockdown,” “Coldest Winter”
Overall rating: 7.5 out of 10

No comments: