Friday, December 11, 2009

CARDINAL PROFILES

BY CAROLINE STRINGER
Cardinal Staff

Name: Jen Salzman
Class: Senior
Sport: Swimming
Major: Criminal Justice/Law
Enforcement
Hometown: Hilo, Hawaii
High School: Hilo

Name: Trevor Tolibas
Class: Junior
Sport: Hockey
Major: Business
Management
Hometown: Colorado
Springs, Colo.

What made you decide on SMU as your
college choice?

Salzman: The reason I chose SMU was because I have family in Winona. My grandmother used to work at SMU, and my sister went to school at WSU, so it was nice to have family around. I also wanted to get off of the big island for a while!
Tolibas: Hockey and my friends. I like it here; it is a pretty fun place.

What is your favorite part about SMU
athletics?

Salzman: My teammates are my favorite part! We all have really great times with each other, and I wouldn’t have as much fun swimming. I love that athletics create an opportunity to bond with people who have the same interest.
Tolibas: My favorite part about SMU athletics is hanging out with my teammates. And I like the fan support we get.

What is your favorite athletics moment?

Salzman: I am not sure if there has ever just been a moment, rather many great ones. I love competing in relays; my splits from them have been some of the best swims of my life and the most memorable.
Tolibas: My favorite athletic moment at SMU is when I got the game-winning assist on Eric Tenvoorde’s amazing overtime goal. No one will ever top his celebration.

Who is your favorite professional athlete?

Salzman: Tony Azevedo! He is one of the best American water polo players and plays for the U.S. National team. Swimming
happens to fall second to water polo on my list of interests (sorry, Coach!).
Tolibas: Henrik Zetterberg. He went to Palmer High School in Colorado Springs, Colo. He is one of the top players in the NHL, and he plays on my favorite team (Detroit Red Wings).

No comments: