Friday, December 11, 2009

Student Concerns: Food service joke disturbing and offensive

BY BRANDON WANLESS
Cardinal Staff

I write this column immediately following the stress-filled Thursday of Dec. 3, 2009.

This, in the Saint Mary’s world of food service, has been a most important day thus far in our academic year. Five food service companies were on campus to tour the dining facilities and gain all information needed in order to compose and present a bid for the next food contract. Since I am blessed to be a part of this process, I am able to provide a student’s perspective both for these companies’ proposals and for the committee that will be assisting in the decision-making process.

Unfortunately, an incident about which I learned in this process was quite disturbing and even offensive, not only to Chartwells, but also to the university and to my position. Sometime before the morning of this important Thursday, several signs were placed all over campus referring to the food that Chartwells serves as “dog food.” Now, I understand that initially, this can be seen as humorous. The truth, however, is that this was actually an act of libel, and, like I said, is an injustice against me, the university and our food service. I am not trying to condemn or judge anyone, but I do not condone the act in any manner. It is sad that this method was used by adult college students to make their concerns known, which actually was ineffective, as it was not descriptive at all.

To the contrary of the previous example, many other instances of good progress have consistently been occurring. A prime example is a recent student’s request to liven up the social environment of the cafeteria by listening to music during lunch. This student simply came to me and told me what she would like to see, and I in turn spoke with Chartwells and KSMR. Now, starting next semester on Fridays during lunch, Chartwells will play a special KSMR radio show designed entirely for those eating lunch in the cafeteria. This is just one example of proper procedure gaining real and lasting results.

To make it clear once again, there are already several ways in which one can voice complaints, concerns, requests and questions. If it simply applies to Chartwells food service, Coshenet hopes that any student feels comfortable enough to be able to come right to his office and speak with him directly. This has always been his policy. In addition, I have been really trying to encourage students to talk to me. This can be done directly or by way of your residence hall student senate representative.

The easiest way to voice your concern is simply to e-mail me at ugstudentconcerns@smumn.edu.

No comments: