Friday, March 6, 2009

Music Review

By Eric Hills
Guest Writer

In the writing of this article, I hope to inform people about bands that don’t get a whole lot of press. You won’t hear most of these bands on any radio station (with maybe the exception of the Current).

Read more...

I also would like to preface my musical taste with this statement: I’m often told that I am a music snob. While this is probably true, I think it is necessary. I currently possess about 10,000 songs on my computer, that are a mouse click away.

Music is very abundant these days, so it seems to me that we should be picky and not only be exposed to music that is propped up by major record labels seeking profit. Instead, we should seek music that is propped up by talent, creativity, innovation and love.

So to preemptively answer any questions: no, I will not be suggesting you listen to Fall Out Boy or Taylor Swift. I hope you enjoy my suggestions!

1.) …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead – “The Century of Self”

This is the sixth studio album by Trail of Dead, and they seemed to have departed with Interscope Records with a renewed vision. Recording this record live to create a more raw feel may seem a little disingenuous, but it makes the record sound real, and it actually works well, capturing the essence of Trail of Dead that seemed to be missing from their past two records. For fans of Trail of Dead circa 2001.

2.) Andrew Bird – “Noble Beast”

Andrew Bird is a soft-singing multi-instrumentalist, probably capable of playing more instruments than you have fingers. His songs are often hard to describe by genre, though he incorporates indie, folk, classical and jazz. “Noble Beast” is no exception to his brilliant career. For fans of Bon Iver, Final Fantasy and Beck (just because of his cross-genre appeal).

Albums to watch out for:
1.) Mirah – “(A)Spera”


Mirah (pronounced Me-rah) is a symphonic pop singer with a playful and sincere voice. She often seems a little sad, but her songs are hauntingly beautiful. For fans of Jenny Lewis and Stars.

2.) Kevin Devine – “Brother’s Blood”

I saw him tour alongside Brand New in March of 2007 and thought he had some great potential. Apparently, this young man has grown up quite a bit since that magical show two years ago. Now he’s ready to release a post-Capitol Records album, and I’m excited to see what this guy can do. For fans of Death Cab for Cutie, Brand New and Manchester Orchestra.

No comments: