Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jazz Combo I performs homecoming concert

By Trisha Stachowski
Arts & Entertainment Editor

Saint Mary’s University’s Jazz Combo I performed a homecoming concert on Friday, March 16, celebrating their return from Germany in the Figliulo Recital Hall.

The homecoming concert marked the first concert that the 12-piece Combo put on in the United States following their return from their German tour. For the concert, the Combo played 12 songs, including a song arranged by SMU faculty member and Jazz Combo I member A. Eric Heukeshoven. The performance included songs such as “Comin’ Home Baby” and “I’ll Take Romance.” The Combo performed under the direction of Dr. John Paulson.

Paulson said, “I asked each of the students to introduce one of the selections we played, as well as talk about their favorite aspect of the tour.” The Combo stayed consistent with their typical style. When asked about the trip to Germany and the homecoming concert, Paulson stated, “both Eric (Heukeshoven] and I were very proud of the way the students conducted themselves. they were very polite and responsible”.

Jazz Combo I will perform again in the Page Theatre on April 13 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. They can be purchased through the Page Theatre.

No comments: