Thursday, April 26, 2012

Senior art show dazzles the SMU community




By Trisha Stachowski
Arts & Entertainment Editor


The second segment of the senior art show is now open in the Lillian Davis Hogan Art Gallery. The senior art show gives seniors the opportunity to showcase their work at the end of the semester. The show occurs twice a year, once at the end of the first semester for seniors graduating in December and once or twice at the end of the second semester depending on how many graduating seniors there are. Four seniors participating in this semester’s show have shared their experiences about the art show and their artwork.


Laura Polzin
Majors: Graphic Design and Studio Art Minor: Electronic Publishing.

What did you aim to do with your pieces?
LP: I hope to spark an interest in others or a feeling that compels them. I assume that everyone will interpret them in different ways. I hope that people are able to follow the path through the paintings.

Do you have a theme or any influences?
LP: My theme is nature and the paths that take you through life. The things I see and feel every day and the changing of seasons influence me.

Who have been your major mentors or influences?
LP: I have been influenced by many people that have crossed my path in life. It started in middle school with my teacher Mr. Wyman, and then was pushed further in my career when I entered Saint Mary's. I felt like I really belonged in Preston Lawing's classes as well as my advisors, Rob McColl, and I was always inspired by my professor John Whelan.

Favorite art-related memory?
LP: My favorite art-related memory was when I painted a picture for my aunt and uncle's 40th wedding anniversary this past summer. They both went through a rollercoaster of emotions. To evoke that much emotion from a painting is priceless.

Maria Harris
Major: Graphic Design and Studio Art

What did you aim to do with your pieces?/Do you have a theme or any influences?
MH: All of my pieces are of something very valuable to me. My theme was "Home." I have artwork of my family members, one of the First National Bank building in downtown Saint Paul and the rest are from my cabin. These are places or people that I am most comfortable with. I could have kept going, but I ran out of room and stopped before it looked cluttered. I guess they are just some of the many people and places I highly value in my life.

What are your artistic plans for the future?
MH: I plan to keep creating drawings and paintings on the side, but I would love to get a job in graphic design. If there were one thing I have learned is I would not be me without art in my life. It gives me balance.

Favorite art-related memory?
MH: One is when I would babysit; I would draw with the kids. I would draw anything they would ask me to draw. Watching their faces was priceless. Even to this day I love drawing with my younger cousins. I would sit down and draw Scooby Doo, Madeline, SpongeBob and more.

Maggie Villaume
Majors: Graphic Design and Studio Art.

What did you aim to do with your pieces?
MV: Make an impression and create a new twist on something traditional.

Do you have a theme or any influences?
MV: Combining both of my majors, and family.

What does the show mean to you?
MV: The show is a culmination of everything I've learned in college and how I've progressed as an artist. It lets my friends and family see that being an art major really does take an effort, like any other major at this school.

What are your artistic plans for the future?
MV: Hopefully to be employed as a designer and to do freelance studio work.

Favorite art-related memory?
MV: When I was in preschool, I remember having to draw pictures in pudding on the tables, and instead of drawing, I ate the pudding.

Sarah Kennedy
Majors: Studio Arts and Graphic Design

How long has art been a part of your life?
SK: All of my life. I have a VERY long history of artists from both my mom and dads' sides of the family, so art has been incorporated within everything I do.

What did you aim to do with your pieces? /Do you have a theme or any influences?
SK: I didn't necessarily have a concise theme. I really just wanted to show my diversity and range of media in a way that was still a little bit, for a lack of a better word, “different” like myself.

Who have been your major mentors or influences?
SK: I'd have to say that my grandfather has been, by far, my greatest influence in my life. I remember him drawing me cartoon characters on sheets of paper as a little kid, and I would sit there and color them in for hours.

Favorite art related memory?
SK: Well, it most definitely wouldn't be MY favorite art-related memory, but I'm still hearing about the time that Preston had just gotten done telling us how dangerous a tool we were using can be, and to be EXTRA careful as to not slice your finger when using it. He left the room, and five minutes hadn't even gone by when I sliced my finger down to the bone. To make a long story short, there was blood all over the floor, and I had to finish up the semester doing everything left-handed. As a right-handed artist, that wasn't ideal.

No comments: