By Karina Rajtar
Winter break might be over, but there’s still a lot of winter fun to be had. The Saint Mary’s University Future Alumni Committee (FAC), with the help of the Student Activities Committee (SAC), is sponsoring a Winter Week full of fun, free winter activities, culminating in an afternoon of sledding at the Saint Yon’s Hall hill.
Winter Week was once a very popular annual event that ended with a snow sculpture contest. FAC has brought back the tradition to entertain students during the frigid days of January, while hopefully encouraging others to join the group. Although weather conditions do not allow for the sculpture contest, they won’t keep SMU students from enjoying the other events planned for the week.
Winter Week Schedule:
• Sunday, Jan. 20 – Casino Afternoon (Salvi Lecture Hall/Common Room from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.) Don’t worry football fans; the Charger/Patriot game will be shown on the television, and the event will end before the Packer/Giants game.
• Tuesday, Jan. 22 – SMU Crew at the men’s hockey game with a “Yellow Snowball” eating contest between first and second periods; the game starts at 7:05 p.m.
• Wednesday, Jan. 23 – SMU Crew at the women’s basketball game beginning at 7:30 p.m.; the SAC Wednesday Night Movie is “Cool Runnings” at 9 p.m. in the Salvi Lecture Hall.
• Friday, Jan. 25 – Cardinal Cup snow football at 4 p.m. on the soccer practice field; come win points for your residence hall!
• Saturday, Jan. 26 – Sledding from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Saint Yon’s Hall hill. Some sleds will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis, and there will be free hot cocoa and treats. The Health Advocates will be speaking on winter skin care. Saturday night at 8 p.m. there will also be a Battle of the Bands in the Page Theatre.
• Sunday, Jan. 27 – 10K Cross-Country Ski Race; this is not an official Winter Week event, but it is free to all students. Registration begins at 11 a.m. and the race starts at 1 p.m.