Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Moore auditions for So You Think You Can Dance

BY ANDREA ALLIS
Cardinal Staff

This past July in Salt Lake City, Saint Mary’s University sophomore Bryan Moore auditioned for a spot on Fox’s hit show So
You Think You Can Dance.

A contemporary jazz dancer from Woodbury, Minn., Moore began dancing at the age of ten. When the first season of So
You Think You Can Dance aired six years later, he was immediately captivated. “I’d always joke with my friends about trying out for the show, but it was just this summer that I realized this was something I actually wanted to do,” Moore said. “I wanted
to be spontaneous and step out of my comfort zone.”

Moore started preparing a solo in June, as well as taking dance classes to get in shape for the extensive audition process.

“What most viewers don’t know is how many steps to the audition there actually are,” Moore said.

Before contestants are allowed to perform their solos in front of the judges, they must make it past a number of audition processes that do not appear on television. The first few rounds rely heavily on personality. “It doesn’t matter how great a dancer you are,” said Moore. “There were some phenomenal dancers that got cut right away simply because they didn’t connect with the producers.”

Moore made it through the first day of auditions but was cut just before he was able to perform his solo for the judges. However, Moore said he was happy to have made it as far as he did.

“I came into it with no expectations but doing my best,” said Moore. “I really just did it for the experience — for myself.” “I would love to audition again,” Moore said. “Feeling the electricity of the hundreds of people there to audition was amazing. You could definitely feel how much everyone wanted it, and it makes you want it that much more.”

No comments: