Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Theresa Breault: published author at age 18

BY BECCA SANDAGER
Copy Editor

Saint Mary’s University junior Theresa Breault is not just a student; she is a published author as well.

Breault is the author of The Enchantress, a three part mini fantasy trilogy that tells the story of Aurora, a high school student who discovers she is the “Enchantress.” As the Enchantress, Aurora guards the good in the dimensions (levels of worlds) from Daoi, an evil man who seeks to take the place of Aurora as Enchantress.

Breault’s idea for The Enchantress started from only a name. After seeing the opening scene of Beauty and the Beast, she liked that name and wanted to create a character in her book after it.

“I was at a basketball game and suddenly got a scene,” said Breault. “I stole notebook paper from a friend and wrote six to seven pages right there.” Breault finished writing The Enchantress when she was 15 and spent the next two years working on getting it published. Her only specifications were that it was not published online, she did not publish it herself, and she would
not have to pay to get it published.

“I sent out a query (short excerpt) and got six or seven rejection letters telling me I was ‘too young,’” Breault said. “Then I got two offers.” Breault settled with PublishAmerica of Frederick, Md. After three rounds of editing (first on her own, then by
PublishAmerica and once more herself), determining where the book would be sold, and other legalities, The Enchantress was ready to go to print. But, because she was only 17 at the time of the publishing offer, Breault said she had to wait until she was 18 to sign. “I signed the day after my 18 birthday March 31, 2007,” said Breault. The Enchantress was printed in November 2007.

“The first time I saw the cover, I was in the basement of Skemp on the computer next to a chick,” Breault said. “I freaked.” She said seeing her name next to “The” and “being able to open it up and see I wrote these words… amazing.”

Breault says her writing inspiration comes from people and conversations. “Pretty much everyone I know is a character to me,”
said Breault. “Everyone inspires me to write.”

Currently, Breault is working on an anthology of short stories: Pursue, The Kissing Club and Sexaholic all of which are set at SMU and have connected themes and emotions. “I’m just a mediocre writer from a small town,” said Breault. “But I can try, and I can dream.”

Breault’s advice for others who want to write or are trying to get their work published is: “Don’t write to get published. Write because you love it.” Breault said. “Writing is something I do for me that people happen to pay me for.”A copy of Breault’s The Enchantress can be purchased from Barnes & Nobles, Amazon or Borders.

No comments: