Thursday, April 25, 2013

Seniors pursue volunteer opportunities with Lasallian Volunteers after graduation


By Alexi Lund
Feature Editor

Seniors Kyle Garesche and Samantha Herbst will dedicate a year to service with the Lasallian Volunteers after their graduation in May 2013.

The prospective placement that Garesche received is at the San Miguel De La Salle Middle School on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in Browning, Mont. Herbst will be at the De La Salle Blessed Sacrament in Memphis, Tenn. 

“This post graduation path gives meaning to my education. I have been blessed with such incredible opportunities afforded to me by my family, friends and educators that I have a compelling urge to share my hard work and blessings with some of the less fortunate people in our nation,” said Garesche.

Herbst spent a week at the San Miguel Schools in Chicago her freshman year and a week at Saint Mary›s Mission School in Red Lake, Minn., last year, both for SOUL trips. “I really enjoyed the mission of teaching the whole child and wanted to be a part of schools that are working so hard to provide opportunities and resources for these students who wouldn›t otherwise have them,” said Herbst.

Herbst student taught at Marian Middle School, a Nativity Miguel school in Saint Louis, Mo., which was a "trial run" for her to see if she felt the same about working at these schools when she was there for longer than a week and had to teach and work as part of the staff and live in community. "I loved the experience more than I could have even imagined," said Herbst. After her experience, she started looking into volunteer programs.

“I realized that being part of a volunteer program, especially Lasallian Volunteers, would give me the support system, mentors, and spiritual support that would help me be successful while pushing myself and gaining meaningful experience,” said Herbst. Now is a good time for both of these students to volunteer because they have the flexibility to travel and serve where they are needed as well as time and energy to devote to their students.   

“It's important to volunteer because all of us here at SMU are given such great opportunities with our education and future that not everyone in this world has,” said Garesche. 

Garesche’s goal is to be a high school history teacher, “This is an opportunity to really make a difference in a child's life. Even if it›s just one student who I help, it would make all of my time spent here at SMU and volunteering worth it,” said Garesche.

“I like to give back because I know how fortunate I have been and how many people have helped me get to where I am today,” said Herbst. “However, it never fails that I seem to get more than I give and learn many lessons from those to whom I am trying to be of service.”

No comments: