Friday, February 22, 2013

Thone joins 1,000-Point Club


By Corrine McCallum
Cardinal Staff

Senior women’s basketball player Jessica Thone becomes one of 10 women who have accomplished the amazing feat of scoring 1,000 points as a Cardinal.

Thone is a captain of the women’s basketball team who is beyond dedicated to her sport.  Being a collegiate athlete is not only hard work, but it is also very challenging. Day in and day out, many student-athletes are busy with practices, games, ice baths, film, scouting, etc. However, rewards come to those who dedicate themselves to what they love. This describes Thone.

“Jess is a smart player, and a great teammate,” said fellow senior captain Courtney Athnos. “She keeps the team going and deserves all of the recognition she is receiving.” 

Thone has been a member of the women’s basketball team since her freshman year. She has not only participated in the sport; she has excelled at it as well. Thus, she just recently scored her 1,000 point on a fast-break lay-up against Hamline University on Jan. 21. Getting to 1,000 points is not an easy accomplishment. 

“Getting to 1,000 points really shows that the people I have played with over these four years have been great teammates,” said Thone. “They have helped me accomplish that, and I am very grateful for them.”

What makes Thone really stand out is not only the scoring and records she holds, but also the way she handles herself on the court and how well she knows the game of basketball. Thone had a lot to say about who has helped her through her SMU basketball career. Ultimately, she acknowledged the great role her teammates had.  She said, “I think my teammates have helped me the most. Our team is so fun to be around and it really makes my experience at SMU just that much better.” 

The women’s basketball team finished regular-season play with a record of 22-4 overall and 18-4 in conference. Thone has a huge part in that, which is something that Thone said she wants to be able to say at the end of her career. 

“I think the ultimate goal by the end of the season is to make it to nationals. I think that’s every teams end goal,” said Thone. “But also I think especially this year since it’s my last, just have to make everything count. It is my last go around so I’m trying to appreciate the little things.” 

The Cardinals look forward to continuing their season into the MIAC Tournament. With every victory comes more confidence, and that is what will keep this team on track!

No comments: