Friday, February 1, 2013

Vietnamese student gets involved at SMU


By Mary Nordick
Cardinal Staff

Saint Mary’s has a great reputation of being a culturally diverse community that encourages all students to get involved with many different activities in order to get the full college experience.

“Saint Mary’s does [really] well recognizing culture,” said Minh Nguyen, sophomore resident assistant (RA) in Saint Benilde Hall. “My friends don’t look at me with different eyes; they just look at me as a friend.”

Nguyen is from Vietnam and has “felt very welcomed on campus. “I [think] that I really fit in because the people here are very accepting,” said Nguyen.

Nguyen is an example of a student who is involved in a variety of campus activities. In addition to being an RA, Nguyen is also a centennial student leader and a member of both the Saint Mary’s choir and The Oldie Moldies.

“It’s a balancing act between schoolwork, being an RA and other activities,” said Nguyen.  With a busy schedule, “I always make sure to find time for school and time for fun,” said Nguyen. 

Being an RA also requires Nguyen to be a leader and set an example. “I like to be pretty chill, relaxed and have fun with my residents,” said Nguyen. 

No comments: