Friday, April 25, 2008

Editors bid farewell to Cardinal and SMU

By Lindsay Dickson
Editor-in-Chief

The last issue of the Cardinal is a real milestone for me. I began working with the newspaper my freshman year and, I have to say, it was a strange feeling to put together this last issue! I’d like to thank all Cardinal staff members for their hard work this year, and especially the editors. The Cardinal has gone through a lot of changes this year and I’m confident that it will stay strong next year.

For my final interviews, I decided to talk to the graduating editors to hear about their future plans and their reflections regarding the Cardinal.
Read more...


What are your plans for next year?
Amy Kalina, managing editor: Participating in the Lasallian Volunteer program, working at an inner-city school or placement site.
Abby Zimmer, copy editor: Long-term volunteering with St. Joseph Workers at In the Heart of the Best Puppet and Mask Theatre and Alive Magazine.
Eric Lear, sports editor: Do my best to get paid to talk about sports.
Sean O’Brien, news editor and distribution manager: Graduate, get a job, become famous . . . not necessarily in that order.
Becky Newby, arts and entertainment editor: Attend graduate school for journalism at DePaul University in Chicago.

What is your favorite Cardinal memory or article?
Amy: I will never forget the late night Sno-Ball eating contest with Abby and Lindsay. Abby won, mostly because Lindsay and I couldn’t stop laughing. Good think we didn’t choke on the coconut.
Abby: I really enjoyed covering the Scottish play sophomore year. It was the first article for which I had to interview multiple people, and it was a challenging task trying to make my article brief and concise because I found everything they said so interesting!
Eric: The editorial I wrote about the crap I received from the SMU community when I wore a WSU shirt to class.
Sean: My editorial about the attendance policy at SMU. I also enjoyed getting my first story in the Cardinal. I had never had anything published before so that was really cool.
Becky: “A sign unnoticed by some.” My favorite memory was when Amy yelled at me.

Why is the Cardinal important to have at SMU?
Amy: It’s important for the students to be informed about what is going on in our community and on campus, but it’s also important for students to have a voice. Having a campus newspaper allows that to happen.
Abby: The Cardinal has given me the ability to get real experience in journalism outside of the classroom without a professor always looking over my shoulder. It gave me the opportunity to see if I was really dedicated to writing because I had to for class or because I really wanted to do it. Turns out, I really wanted to do it!
Eric: The Cardinal is a great way for students to gain experience in the field of journalism.
Sean: Because having a news outlet lets students get experience, and it’s important to have a watchdog-type role in any institution. That’s what the news media does.
Becky: It gives students the opportunity to learn about campus issues that they might not have known about otherwise. It’s also a good way for students to get involved.

What is your favorite newspaper (besides the Cardinal?)
Amy: USA Today (and not just because of the word puzzles!)
Abby: I don’t really read – ha! Shh . . .
Eric: The Chicago Tribune – I have to stay up-to-date on my Cubbies.
Sean: The Chicago Tribune and The Onion are both good. Also, props to The Star Tribune for being arguably the most liberal newspaper in the country.
Becky: The New York Times.

No comments: