Friday, April 4, 2008

It doesn’t get much better than this

By Eric Lear
Sports Editor

In the fall I wrote an article with then co-sports editor, Candice Norrell under the headline “It’s the most wonderful time of the year.”

I lied. The fact that the Chicago Cubs actually made the playoffs impaired my judgment at that time. As a matter of fact, this is the most wonderful time of the year.
Read more...


March Madness is in full swing. Whether you fill out your bracket by which team has the better uniform or mascot, or if you think you are a Bracketologist on ESPN (guilty as charged), it generates a great deal of excitement. I’m sure most of you have filled out a bracket on Facebook, ESPN.com or Yahoo.

Davidson was my upset special of the year and I was sure right. Unfortunately, their storybook run has ended.

I can’t help but notice the weather is starting to improve, which means one important thing in my world: baseball season is here. I have high hope for my Cubbies this year looking to defend their crown as National League Central Champions. Unfortunately, for those who reside in Twins Territory, it could be a tough season playing in the stacked American League Central. Don’t get discouraged if your team starts off slow, Twinkie fans. Your young team should start to turn things around after the All-Star break.

My bold prediction for this season is the Cubs facing the Tigers in the World Series. At this point in time, I just want to be sitting at Wrigley Field and watching my team. Lucky for Twins fans there is not much more time left at the Metrodome.

The Masters Golf Tournament is right around the corner (Amen Corner, perhaps). It is the first major tournament of the PGA tour this year. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Tiger Woods, the best golfer in the history of planet Earth, will win it. With five tournament victories already in the young season, Woods will undoubtedly have a season that will go down in history.

So if you need me anytime soon, I will most likely be parked on the couch enjoying the most wonderful time of the year.

No comments: